Navigation and settings
How do I login to Moodle?
- Log in with your regular username and password, you will be allowed to access some areas (like this page) as a Guest.
How do I get around Moodle?
- Use the Navigation block on the side of your page. From there you can go directly to any part of Moodle you have access to. Once you have enrolled on a course it will be listed under My courses.
How do I edit things?
- You can only edit things you have permission to edit. A regular user such as a student can only edit their My home page and their profile page. A user with editing rights such as a teacher can use the ‘Turn editing on’ button or the link in the Settings block to edit items. A guest can’t edit anything or participate in activities.
Who can create and edit activities and other things in courses?
- Only the teacher can edit or add activities.
Learning with Moodle
What is the best way to use Moodle?
- There is no one best way to use Moodle. Use of Moodle depends a lot on one’s own educational philosophy, the context where Moodle is used and willingness to experiment and create a little (or a lot!). Moodle can be used by a strict controller using trusted material of 30 years or a free-loving e-hippie exploring new ways of teaching and learning alike.
How can I use Moodle to stimulate students think harder and ask good questions?
- By asking and encouraging good questions students can wrestle with and explore through and with the help of activities, resources in a course. For example, open a forum discussion with a provocative question, start a wiki where groups collaboratively build a solution.
Basic Moodle jargon
What is a Course?
- A course is the basic learning area on Moodle where a teacher displays materials for their students.
- Tutors will assigned to their course but learners will need to serach for the course and click enrol me.
What is a Category?
- A category is a group of things and has several meanings in Moodle. It can be a grouping of courses by a learning area (Photography, Child Care) It can be a group of questions, or a group of entries in a glossary.
What is an Activity?
- Usually an activity is something that a student will do that interacts with other students and or the teacher. The activities that we recommend for use are: Assignments, Chat, Database, Feedback, Forum, Glossary, Questionnaire, Quiz, Wiki and Workshop.
What is a Resource?
- Resources are items that a teacher can use to support learning, such as a file or a link.
What is a Block?
- Typically, blocks are items which may be added to the left or right in a course’s home page. There are dozens of different blocks that can be added to a course, or pages within a course.
What is a Section?
- A section is an area within a course’s homepage that hold activities and resources. Standard course section formats are topics, weeks, social and SCORM.
What is a Role?
- A role in Moodle refers to what a user is allowed (or not) to do on a Moodle site. Typical roles might include those of a student and teacher. A role is a collection of permissions that can be assigned to specific users in specific contexts. For example, when a user is enrolled in a course as a student.
Frequently Asked Questions
Q: I cant find my course?
A: All courses are created by the course administrator, you need to make a request to them.
Q: Turn editing on button is missing, how can I update my course?
A: You need to be assigned as a tutor to a course. Please contact your respective course administrators or the systems administrator via email@example.com to make you a tutor
Q: I accidentally clicked on Unenroll me from this course. Can I click on “Enrol me on this course” to enrol myself?
A: No, enrolling yourself on a course will make you a learner. Please contact your respective course administrators or the systems administrator via firstname.lastname@example.org to make you a tutor
Q: When I drag and drop files into my course, they duplicate. What’s going on here?
A: there are 2 instances of the Drag and Drop block. Turn editing on and delete one of them.
Q: Why when I drag and drop files into my course, they opened up instead of being added to the course?
A: The drag and Drop block is not enabled. Turn editing on and select Drag and Drop from the Add block drop-down menu.
Q: My student can’t reply to forum posts or do the activities?
A: The student is using a guest access. To participate in activities the students need to enrol on the course.
Q: Why some of my weeks are titled Orphaned activities and I can’t create activities there?
A: You need to extended the number of weeks/ topics in Settings to match the number of weeks in the course. For example: If the number of weeks/topics in Settings 10 and the actual weeks in the course is 12, then 2 weeks will be considered orphaned weeks.
Click here to go back to the platform